Friday, February 17, 2012

Will learning how to touch type make me a better player?

Question

As of late I have been learning how to touch type for many reasons but the one I speak of now is to become a better player. I'm learning via typingweb and have been forcing myself to touch type. I have always used the hunt and peck method of typing with my index fingers and applying that same skill to StarCraft of course because that's how I used a keyboard. In StarCraft I have never been very good at dealing with very large amounts of keys at a time due to the way I type. If I learn how to touch type I assume I will greatly improve all-around. Not to mention it's pretty much a mandatory skill to have if I happen to apply for a job involving typing. Obviously this skill will allow me to control a greater number of keys at once so I will factually improve my game, right? Thanks in advance.

Asked by I take Drukqs

Answer

Don't use the default lay-out, it will force you to hunt and peck if you are new to touch typing.
Instead, use the grid lay-out which feels on par with touch typing.

You don't have to learn all the key locations anymore if you use this as you can simply use relative positioning to determine the key you want to press and this comes a habit over time.

So, practicing to get up to speed with touch typing helps you improve your speed. But solely that…

As it is more important to improve how you play first before improving your APM. :)

For example, there is no sense in hitting a lot of keys if you:

  1. Forgot to scout that your opponent went for two gas.

  2. Forgot to scout what your opponent planned to do with those two gas.

  3. There are suddenly Collosus / Thors at your front door or Mutalisks at your mineral lines.

  4. You didn't slow down his BO or don't have enough counter unit against it so your opponent wins.

APM doesn't necessarily make you better, if you focus too much on it you could even become worse.

Answered by Tom Wijsman

No comments:

Post a Comment