Friday, February 17, 2012

What are the best laptop screen resolutions for gaming on a PC?

Question

There are a wide variety of resolutions available on different laptops on the market. Which screen resolutions are best for gaming? Is Full HD (1920 x 1080) the best?

Are there any resolutions one should avoid?

Asked by Nicolai

Answer

Preference

In my opinion you shouldn't punish your non-gaming laptop usage just to run some game at a resolution lower than what is native. Moral: go as high as you'd like, 1920x1080 works well go me.

I would also recommend, if you have a desktop and a laptop, to get the same resolution on your laptop as your desktop monitor.

Performance

My laptop is 1920x1080 and I've played everything from WoW to Dawn of War 2 to Left 4 Dead 1/2 etc. It is 3yrs old and has a "NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT". I would say I'm often dropping the resolution below native, but it doesn't really bother me that much. In fact I'm often dropping it into windowed mode, as my laptop gaming is more casual, and I like to be able to alt-tab whenever I feel like it.

Final Thought

You mileage may vary but: you shouldn't be afraid of dropping your resolution below native when gaming on a laptop. Other's may disagree, but that's my opinion.

Check our Morinar's this response to stretching resolutions on a laptop: http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/1032/is-it-bad-to-stretch-your-resolution

Answered by Jonathan Mabe

No comments:

Post a Comment