Saturday, February 18, 2012

Identify old (90s?) Western arcade game

Question

This question got me thinking about the only time I have personally seen an arcade game let people play for free. I think it was sometime in the early to mid 1990s.

This game, at least the first level, was a Old West 2D shooter where the hero (or heroes, up to four players I think) walked down main street from left to right taking out bad guys as they went. Sometimes bad guys would pop out of buildings that looked like they were part of the background.

The boss at the end of the first level appeared in a barn. You would walk in and find no one there, then the screen would shake and the boss would jump in through the roof (or down from a loft, or something). Besides shooting at you, his secondary attack was the run-and-slide, so you had to pay attention and jump over him when necessary.

The second level had you controlling a hot air balloon fighting other balloons. I don't have much detail on this because it seems the people I was watching were not too good at the first level. I never saw someone reach level three.

Oh, and in the first level, you could shoot special birds flying overhead to get an extra life.

Does this ring a bell for anyone?

(And after a week or two the pizza shop employees finally realized what was happening and shut the machine down. It made me irrationally angry for a good few minutes or so.)


Edit for an important fact which I forgot to mention: The graphics were pretty cartoonish even for the 90s. When you died, there was no blood; instead you just turned into something which I thought at the time resembled a cookie but which was probably a tombstone or something.

Asked by mmyers

Answer

I think you're talking about Wild West C.O.W. Boys of Moo Mesa

C.O.W. Boys of Moo Mesa

And here's the first boss vid

Answered by HenryHey

No comments:

Post a Comment