Thursday, August 11, 2011

When using graphics mods such as OptiFine, do I need to patch server or only client?

Question

I found a mod for Minecraft that adds a lot of adjustments and optimizations to the graphics handling, OptiFine.

However, I'm a bit unclear whether I need to patch the server in addition to the client.

Is there a common "knowledge" to this I'm lacking? Such as "yes, you will always have to patch the server"?

If not, does anyone know specifically for this mod, OptiFine, if I need to patch the server as well?

And... if I need to patch the server, does it do anything permanent to my world, such that if I later on decide to remove it, I can still play on the same world without problems?

Answer

You only need to patch the client, as all this does is managing how things are load and displayed.

For communication it just requests more chunks if you want to display more, there is nothing that needs to be changed server side to accomplish that. So, there is no need to patch the server.

No comments:

Post a Comment