Friday, August 12, 2011

Name this old Disney educational reading game?

Question

I have been trying on and off for a couple years now to remember the name of this old PC game I played back in the early 90s. It was a Disney educational game targeted towards young children (think I was 7 or 8 at the time). The game started off with Mickey in his bedroom of his huge house, and you basically have to help him do various chores around the house (laundry, cleaning, etc), preparing for a big date with Minnie Mouse. I remember he had an elevator in his house (ah, the rich and famous...) and like three floors. I think you could order pizza, and I think you had the option of taking Minnie to the beach or the park. The interface might have been point and click -- it wasn't arcade-style.

I remember we had purchased it as part of a collection of a bunch of Disney games (all on floppy disk), including:

as well as some others I can't remember the titles of. This game probably came out around the same time (1990 - 1992) as these other games.

This game was very similar in graphics to the "ABC" and "123" games, although those games were meant for a much younger audience; the game I'm thinking of had a lot more to do. (I remember being really excited about playing it when I was a kid, thinking it would let you go on and on doing all sorts of things day after day, and then being disappointed when the game ended after one day :-P Guess I would have enjoyed The Sims at that age ;-))

Can anyone help me remember the title of this game? I cannot find it ANYWHERE! And searching for "old Disney PC game mickey house" just ... doesn't help me.

Answer

My legendary googling skills tell me it's called Mickey: Follow the Reader

Mickey: Follow the Reader

In Follow the Reader, a sequel to Mickey's ABC's aimed at ages 5-8, Mickey Mouse ... Mickey can wash his ears in the bathroom, write a letter to a friend in his bedroom, or pick up trash in the park. (link)

No comments:

Post a Comment