Monday, August 8, 2011

How can I switch items using mouse buttons instead of the scroll wheel?

Question

My mouse (a Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 5000) has smooth scroll (I can't turn it off) which means using the mouse wheel to change items is not ideal, sometimes it doesn't register the wheel turn, other times it registers it as 3.

Is there any way to change the item switch buttons to something else? Ideally mouse 4 and 5 (the side buttons).

Answer

I'm not aware of a way to remap the scroll wheel within Minecraft, so I think your best bet is to look for third-party tools that will remap your mouse keys for you. After a quick Google search, I found X-Mouse Button Control for Windows, and USB Overdrive for Mac.

Looking at screenshots of both programs, they both allow you to remap mouse buttons as mouse wheel up {MWUP} and mouse wheel down {MWDN}, which is perfect for item-switching in Minecraft.


X-Mouse:
X-Mouse Button Control

USB Overdrive: USB Overdrive

No comments:

Post a Comment