Monday, January 30, 2012

Wake up an Xbox 360 with a TV remote

Question

As I understand it, HDMI is capable of sending "control" signals that can force a device at least into standby mode. I've also heard it can reset devices and even control certain models of bluray/dvd player.

My question is, can this be used with the Xbox 360 in order to power up the device using a TV remote instead of one of the wireless controllers?

My reason for asking is that my wireless controller won't turn the device on if it's plugged in (charging), only if it's unplugged - and since the charge pack has now died, it's always plugged in (charging) so I can't turn the xbox on remotely.

I realise this is virtually the epitome of laziness, but I'm asking more out of curiosity than anything (no, really...).

Answer

With a normal TV remote control, it's unlikely. Those remotes are only meant to control the TV they come with, and are programmed with a special control code to ensure only the TV responds to the IR commands. This is why you need to program universal remotes to work with your TV if you lose its remote.

It's possible with programmable remotes like the Logitech Harmony series. My friend has his entire entertainment center (TV, receiver, and Xbox) all turn on with the press of a single button. The remotes are expensive, but doing what you're asking is definitely possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment