Monday, January 30, 2012

How exactly does the statistics mechanic gather its information?

Question

How exactly does the statistics mechanic gather its information?

  • Does it matter if I'm actually 'logged in' or 'playing offline'?
  • Does it matter if I'm playing in any one particular world I've created?

My stats seem to be all over the place, and sometimes I know for a FACT their wrong, as annotated in this question.

So... what gives?

Answer

The statistics are stored in your Minecraft data folder under stats, and Minecraft Wiki has some details on the format. We can see from the filenames (e.g. stats_kpreid_unsent.dat) that they are stored per-user. It does matter whether you are playing offline, because if you are offline it is as if you are playing the default username “Player” and so those statistics will be kept separately.

The statistics are collected across all worlds.

I agree that the statistics are screwy in some cases, but I don't have any specific info. Besides various obvious general flaws (e.g. counting all dyes as Ink Sacs), Minecraft thinks I've crafted more sugar than torches...

No comments:

Post a Comment