Monday, April 30, 2012

Can I return a game if the vendor forces me to buy DLCs to play competitavely? [closed]

Question

This is more of a legal question regarding DLCs in games.

Here is why I ask:

Now with Street Fighter x Tekken coming out and providing a new Gem system with many DLCs to come I fear I cannot compete with other players buying expensive more powerful gems (DLC).

I mean I buy a game for 30-50 bucks so I can play online competitively. Until now most DLCs in fighting games are optional, as they don't make you stronger. You get different costumes or new characters. But as all characters are supposed be "balanced". I do not suffer from not buying the DLCs.

Now I heard that Capcom wants to create more powerful gems and sell them. There are AFAIK currently no game modes that allow to play without gems, so I will be forced to play with inferior gems.

Furthermore, especially for PC, many shops do not allow you to return a game once you have played it. I want to buy SFxT in about 2 months for PC once it is released.

I don't think this is fair. The vendor must provide a game mode that allows me to play on a same level with other players and make buying DLCs optional. I as a customer want to buy the game and play as long as I want with the status quo (Situation on release date). I cannot see into the future how the balancing will change with new expensive DLCs I do not want to buy.

Basically my question is: Do I have a legal chance to return the game if for example after 1 month of playing a certain expensive and very powerful DLC is realeased and I cannot compete with other gamers unless I buy it?

Sure you can argue its just another 5 bucks, but what if next month another similar DLC is released, and the following month too etc.?

Asked by ayckoster

Answer

I'm not a lawyer, this is not legal advice.

I'm going to compare your argument on DLCs to that of expansions for typical games (DLC's are after all, mini expansions). When a game creates an expansion, anyone who doesn't buy the expansion usually gets left behind. For example, when Starcraft: Brood Wars came out, anyone who didn't switch was left behind playing with a significantly reduced (if non-existent) player base. The same thing happens with World of Warcraft. If you don't buy the expansion "Wrath of the Lich King" or "Cataclysm", you will be playing with and against players who have significantly better gear such as "Heirlooms".

I can tell you for sure that you can not return any Blizzard game if you agree to the EULA and TOC. Once you open the box it can not be returned.

Does the order have to be in a certain condition for me to return it?

Games must be returned new and unopened in their original sealed box.

source

If you've already enjoyed the game to some extent, you're not going to have much luck returning it. I've felt the same way personally, when I played Halo: ODST I felt the 5 hours of gameplay I got out of it was a "ripoff" for $70, but I still played the game that the developers set out for me.

Your only option is to sell the game. Unfortunately, PC games are hard to sell because of the complicated licensing arrangements you unwittingly make with them, and console games are going that route as well (locking you out of multiplayer if you buy it second hand).

My best advice is to:

  • Research games and companies before purchasing
  • Don't support companies in the future that make decisions you don't agree with
  • Contact companies with your concerns - you may be suprised
  • Accept that you pay for what you get in the box and nothing more
Answered by Resorath

No comments:

Post a Comment