Monday, January 30, 2012

When to visit the College of Winterhold

Question

I bought Skyrim a few days ago and have only been playing it for a short while. I am playing a high elf mage and one thing has been bothering me.

I am only level 3 and following the main quest but have got a quest to visit the College of Winterhold. as far as I can understand, the College of Winterhold will teach me new spells and it is advised to visit them as early as possible. It seems such a long travel but should I just visit them by now already?

Answer

The game can be played any way you want, but some of the advantages of visiting the College of Winterhold are:

  • Access to spells: spells from all schools of magic can be bought there
  • Mage-friendly quest rewards: you'll get quite a few nice mage-centered quest rewards, like the Archmage robes and the Morokei mask
  • Access to trainers: if you feel like paying for training, the high level mage trainers are mostly (all?) in the College of Winterhold

It is a long way, but you can easily travel there using a wagon. If you're following the main quest line, once you get to Whiterun you can take a wagon from in front of the stables.

So, I would recommend traveling there shortly after you reach Whiterun. After getting Lydia or after visiting the Throat of the World seem like good times to peel off and do the mage quests.

No comments:

Post a Comment