Sunday, January 29, 2012

How well do “gaming” computer glasses such as Gunnar Optiks work?

Question

I wore glasses to correct nearsightedness for over 20 years before having LASIK surgery a few years ago. I've loved the freedom of not having to wear corrective lenses all the time. That being said, due to the fact that glasses did the work for me, my eyes had never really had to work the muscles responsible for focusing much. Thus since having LASIK surgery, I've noticed that after an extended period of time concentrating on the computer screen with only small breaks that I would end up with headaches focused around my eyes. I spoke to my eye doctor about that and he prescribed a pair of "computer glasses" which were just normal reading glasses that had a minimal (.5 or less if I remember correctly) magnification so that when my eyes got tired I could wear them and reduce the strain on my eyes.

With the context set, I am looking at something that might work a bit better for both fatigue associated with computer usage primarily when gaming. I have heard pretty good reviews for glasses by Gunar Optiks (primarily the AMbeR series). Ars Technica had a decent review of them.

I am curious though if anyone here has used glasses such as those and what their experience was - did it reduce fatigue? Did it add or take away from the gaming experience?

Answer

These glasses are great. They're light, and they really do work. Some colours aren't as bright/clear but it makes gaming marathons easier on the eyes. The lenses make it easier to read text due to magnification.

Hope I've helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment