Wednesday, July 13, 2011

How to change player name in minecraft multiplayer in offline mode in Linux?

Question

I have a small Minecraft server (beta 1.5), and every time I log in via offline mode from a client, my name is "Player". How can I change that?

I know of a way to do it in Windows but it doesn't help.

The major problem is when others connect to my server they take "Player" as a name and it kicks me off.

The server's property is set to:

online-mode=false

I can't change this to true.

I'm running the latest version of Ubuntu, and running the client from the terminal using the following command (EDIT: running with sudo, not a good idea, i know...need to get that fixed):

sudo ./minecraft-1.5.jar

EDIT:I found the code that I was talking about but it never worked for me:

java -cp ~/.minecraft/bin/minecraft.jar:~/.minecraft/bin/lwjgl.jar:~/.minecraft/bin/lwjgl_util.jar:~/.minecraft/bin/jinput.jar: -Djava.library.path=~/.minecraft/bin/natives -Xmx1024M -Xms512M net.minecraft.client.Minecraft '"'$USER'"'

AND FOR WINDOWS:

java -Xms512m -Xmx1024m -cp "%APPDATA%\.minecraft\bin\*" -Djava.library.path="%APPDATA%\.minecraft\bin\natives" net.minecraft.client.Minecraft '"'%1'"'

Latest Update: IT WORKS! I didnt realize that the first part (starting with -cp), was the folder that I ran my game from was the wrong directory, remember that I start the game with sudo, that was the reason I failed, is hould have been:

/root/.minecraft/bin/*

Also I have to run this with 'sudo' or it wont work...the errors pile up, which as it turns out, and I didnt realize, is bacause it couldnt find any main class files, which I figured out rereading the man for 'java'

As a side win, this code now allows me to press: "Quit" button which was missing because of the way I started the game in terminal.

Answer

I don't have access to Minecraft on Linux at the moment, but that command line looks suspicious. Give this a try:

java -Xms512m -Xmx1024m -cp "$HOME/.minecraft/bin/*" -Djava.library.path="$HOME/.minecraft/bin/natives net.minecraft.client.Minecraft" "$USER"

If it still isn't working for you, knowing what does happen (error messages, lets you in but has wrong name, …) would be helpful for further troubleshooting. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment